Ramadan Challenge!

10:11 AM

Ramadan 2013 has officially started, while I was pouring through this magnificent photo essay in the Atlantic portraying the beginning of the month.






I am not muslim, and I never fasted throughout  but this time of year brings back memories of my time in Egypt that warm my heart. I miss living in a place where pretty much everyone fasted. I miss being conscious of the dawn and dusk, I miss going by the mosque after school and helping get iftar ready for the the poor community in my neighborhood. 

There was a reason to commune every night, every Friday there was another warm home to visit, sticky baklava and qatayef, kibbeh and kofta and oum ali. Eating together is something my parents always insisted on- it's how I become to close to all of my best my friends. 

Cooking and eating together is in my opinion the best way to become close to someone. 

I'm taking a challenge for this month to more thoughtful and the best friend, girlfriend and family member that I can be. 


Every week I will cook dinner for and with one friend, my mother or a member of my family. I will document with photographs, digital and film.
I'm challenging myself to learn new recipes, take better photographs and to spend more time eating well and eating in. I, for one am excited!

To everyone celebrating- Ramadan Kareem!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images